This is an on-going interview series that profiles library employees and librarians working at UBC Library, which I co-created with my colleague, Katya Roxas, in April 2018.
This series offers a unique, behind-the-scenes look at life in the various library branches at the University of British Columbia’s Vancouver campus.
Each profile focuses on an individual employee, creating a narrative that touches on the employee’s day-to-day work, notable projects, and their life outside the library. The stories emerge from live interviews that are done either in-person on campus or using video chat technology like Zoom.
A selection of some of my posts from the series:
- Meet Ya Min Wu, Chinese Rare Books Cataloguer
- Meet Anne Lama, Conservator
- Meet Wendy Traas, Reference Librarian
- Meet Hiller Goodspeed, Circulation, Copying and Shelving Assistant
- Meet Fernando Murillo, Graduate Student Peer
- Meet Eleanore Wellwood, Cataloging and Acquisitions Assistant
- Meet Jeremy Buhler, Assessment Librarian
- Meet Evan Thornberry, GIS Librarian
SOCIAL MEDIA + VIDEO
Video clips are built for social using audio recorded during the interviews, with embedded captions, and photography stills. The social posts are used to drive traffic to the blog posts on the UBC Library website.
The landing page for the series that I created functions as both a human resources recruitment tool, to showcase the library’s work culture, a place to highlight for the rest of the UBC community the great variety and depth of work being done at the library, and also a way for library colleagues to celebrate each other’s achievements and get to know each other better. The series has become very popular on internal channels, like the employee newsletter.